At various times dating back to the start of NFL training camps, the Bucs, Chiefs, Bills, Cowboys, Rams, Ravens, Packers, Titans and Cardinals have all at least briefly been regarded as “the best team in football.”
They have all surged and faded. Or faded and surged. Each has had at least one “WTF?” loss.
The Jolly Roger is smiling. “No doubt the universe is unfolding…as it should…”
The most consistent and resourceful team has been Arizona. But even the Cards stunk it up in their blowout loss…at home…to Cam and the Panthers a couple of weeks ago.
Injuries and illnesses rule the league. To date, the Cardinals have done the best job of overcoming them. As Faultless Frank Gifford once famously said, “Pro football is like nuclear war. There are no winners. Only survivors.”
So…after eleven weeks…
Paul’s NFL Power Rankings
- Cardinals (9-2) Not just the best record. The best team. (At least right now.)
- Packers (8-3) Yes, I watched the Vikings beat them.
- Buccaneers (7-3) Yes, I know they had lost two straight until last night.
- Titans (8-3) Yes, I saw the Texans…the Texans…spank them.
- Chiefs (7-4) It gaut bettah.
- Ravens (7-3) It’s not COVID. So WTH is up with Lamar?
- Colts (6-5) Could still win the whole thing. I am completely serious.
- Cowboys (7-3) Problems abound.
- Patriots (7-4) Them AGAIN?
- Rams (7-3) It’s all or nothing for them. And it may be nothing.
- Vikings (5-5) The truth is they have one of the best rosters in the NFL. But…
- Chargers (6-4) Can’t stop the run…BUT HAVE YOU WATCHED HERBERT?
Bills? No. They’re bad right now. I did not say “inconsistent.” I said bad.
Bengals? They went through their slump. They could still sprint to the finish.
Steelers? I don’t see it.
One more thing. Okay, two more things.
The Eagles are getting pretty good. Hurts is a hellacious competitor.
Taylor Heinicke is not a beer. He is a wind-cheating, drill-bit throwing dude.