He is “a clear and present danger” to American democracy. That’s the way the former president of the United States will be accurately described, characterized and labeled during Thursday’s final pre-election public hearing by the House Select Committee.
Notice first the verb tense. He IS a clear and present danger. Not, he WAS a clear and present danger. This ridiculous notion put forth by Trump Cultists that we should “move on” from his treasonous and seditious actions because he is no longer in office is as dishonest, deflective and malignant as Trump himself. As long as he is a threat to return to the White House, this is a “right now” crisis that must be addressed right now.
He is unfit.
You think that’s unfair? Let’s see. He:
- Lied, grossly and knowingly, about the results of the 2020 election. He continues to lie, despite the trauma his lie continues to inflict on our country.
- Gave aid and comfort to our global enemies, and turned his back on our allies. Fact. You think the Mueller Report “exonerated” Trump? Actually read the report. He was guilty of dozens of clear examples of obstruction of justice, and was not indicted only because he was a sitting president.
- Attempted to overthrow the government of the United States. Yes, he did. He engaged in a meticulously planned illegal scheme to overturn the results of a fair election and prevent the peaceful transfer of power for the first time in American history. This conspiracy included presenting slates of fake electors, seeking to seize voting machines, threatening martial law and attempting to prevent the vice president from simply doing his Constitutional duty, endangering the life of Mr. Pence. Go back and read this paragraph again.
- Was directly responsible for the deadly and shameful armed insurrection at our Capitol on January 6, 2021. He knowingly sought to direct armed and dangerous rioters to the Capitol, and lifted not one finger to stop the violence for more than three hours.
- Stole, and continues to retain, highly classified documents from the government of the United States. This statement is not in question. Documents are not where they are supposed to be. And they are where they are not supposed to be. And he is responsible for that. There is no rebuttal to this charge.
- Weaponized federal agencies, including the Department of Justice, and repeatedly used his office for personal gain.
Trump remains—present tense—a clear and present danger to American democracy. He must never be allowed to threaten our country’s foundations again.